Thursday, November 06, 2008

I have written this sentence many, many times.

I did intend to be here last night, but... (What excuse this time? Ah... I know!) my sleep patterns were fucked up after staying up to watch the US elections. (Good one, Jerry! Cheers!)

So, Barack Obama won.

Good for him. I hope he makes a difference. Of course that line doesn't mean a thing. George W. Bush also made a difference. War, death, instability, danger. Maybe Gore and Kerry would have been just as bad. Until we are able to pass into alternative realities and see how they got on, we will never know.

I am not going to piss on anybody's parade here, but Obama is not the chosen one, the messiah, Anakin Skywalker or Harry Potter. Obama is a politician. As such he will be pulled and pushed by the vested interests that supported him, as much as Bush ever was by the vested interests that supported him. Vested interests may not care about you or me or the right thing that should be done. It is the political game. It is the way it goes.

During the run up to the Carter-Reagan election of 1980, I remember reading a piece in one of the highbrow magazines. The gist of the piece was that whoever won the election, six months afterwards, a majority of people would wish that they had voted for the other guy. I suspect that this is what will happen this time.

I hope that Obama does good things, but am cynical enough to think that he may not.

3 comments:

medusa said...

I think the important thing about him, right now, is the excitement and inspiration he has brought to people. You want that in your leaders, and when you find it, it makes it easier to believe that they will do good things. I agree that he will not always be riding this high of public support, but it's nice to feel proud of your government, and hopeful, in a way that has been missing for too long.

Threelight said...

I find the world is suddenly a more interesting place it was a week ago.

Yes, he's likely to be voted down on most things, especially if the Senate is mostly Republican (I'm not sure what it's breakdown is).

But all I can say is, that if you can give people hope for the future, then you're getting somewhere.

Because that's what people are after. Hope.

Anonymous said...

I've tended to be cynical as well, but I'm trying not to be quite yet.

I'm hoping. And that's something that I haven't been able to say for 8 years.