Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It is New Year's Eve. For the want of anything else to do, except to watch "Event Horizon" for the upteenth time, I think it is time to list my favourite 10 films of the year.

Here we go. In no particular order, they are...

  1. Dean Spanley (Dir. Toa Fraser)
  2. Redbelt (Dir. David Mamet)
  3. Eden Lake (Dir. James Watkins)
  4. Elegy (Dir. Isabel Coixet)
  5. The Mist (Dir. Frank Darabont)
  6. Gone Baby Gone (Dir. Ben Affleck)
  7. El Orfanato (Dir. Juan Antonio Bayona)
  8. 4 Luni, 3 Saptamâni Si 2 Zile (Dir. Cristian Mungiu)
  9. Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (Dir. Sidney Lumet)
  10. The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford (Dir. Andrew Dominik)

And now, an announcement.

I think I have had enough. Of the blog, that is. I have been thinking about doing this for some time, and in the best tradition of the drama queen, the big gesture at the end of the year is the way to go about it.

It must be obvious to everybody (or maybe it isn't?) that lately I have been finding it a struggle to sit down every day to write something. It has become a chore and bore. I don't think that I want to do it anymore. (That nearly rhymes.) What I am going to do is to pull up the shutters and become a private person again.

Yes, I think that is what I want to do. For the moment, anyway.

So this is goodbye, at least as regards the blog. I have setup a forward on my email. If anybody wants to contact me, they can. I will still check other blogs. I am still interested in what everybody is up to.

Happy New Year, all.

And remember

"We all invent ourselves".

11 comments:

medusa said...

Hey, don't be a stranger. And don't be afraid to come back if you suddenly have the urge to post again. We won't think any less of you!

beth said...

But ... but we only just met...

Although, if you're going to do a drama queen flounce out there's no better time really!

I will echo what medusa said about not being afraid to come back etc

Anyway, I hope you manage to sort stuff out and that things work out better than your Christmas/New Year plans did!

beth
x

Threelight said...

Adios, matey!

Keep in touch. No doubt you'll have one or two things to say on my blog!!

And, like medusa says, "Don't be a stranger".

Anonymous said...

I'll miss reading your thoughts, Jerry. Keep in touch, kiddo.

DragonZAR said...

Sad news indeed. I hope you do decide to pop up a post every now and then. Have a great year, and do keep in touch!

swisslet said...

it's been a pleasure. Blogging or not, you're the man.

ST

Katyola said...

Take care of yourself, and best wishes for 2009. Please keep in touch, and I will send you the way, way past-due mix CDs!

Jerry said...

Thanks all. I will be back.

Fuff said...

I shall miss you.
Do pop in over at my bloog. I have a new addition, so am back to posting again.
Hope 2009 works well for you.
XXX

Fuff said...

Ello. As you no longer bloog, but still have comments, I thort I'd ask you to vote fur my bunny in the Facebook Easter bun final. If you are on Facebook, the link is here
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=65167291260
Just RSVP and then leave your vote for Bibi.
Hope you are well
Fuff
x

j. said...

For what it's worth, I miss your movie reviews.