Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Long time, no speak.

We have been in London. We saw a musical and a play with music. (They are different things.) We had breakfast at a greasy spoon (which was fantastic) and in the evening ate at a Moroccan restaurant. Jennifer went insane with her credit card at Fortnum's and Mason's and several other fine shopping establishments.

I am now home. Jennifer is down South somewhere. She phoned me on Sunday night, but I have not heard from her since. It is the way it goes.

There you go. I have caught up. I do not feel like writing about any of it in any detail. It is becoming a patten, this 'not writing' thing. Too much of a chore. Too much like work. I hate feeling obligated to do something, or am I just a lazy sod?

Anyway...

Is it time for a Shuffleathon 2008 review? I think that it might be.

Mr. Astronaut did not name the CD, so I have named it myself.

"The J Album".

Why, you may ask, "The J Album"?

Ah... Well, there is a concept. The name of every single artist on the CD begins with the letter 'J'. I think that it is a great idea. It is a concept. I like concepts. I liked even more the idea of including short snatches of movie dialogue between some of the tracks. I wish I had thought of it first.

Bastard.

Let's begin.

"Don't Bring Me Down" by J Church.

I have never heard of this band, but the song is only too familiar. The song comes from E.L.O.'s album "Discovery", released in 1979, and was released as a single by E.L.O. the same year. I have always felt that Jeff Lynne is one of the most underrated of pop songwriters, even if I would never have admitted to liking his work during the height of the punk wars.

As for this version of "Don't Bring Me Down", it is a nice opening track, but it not my favourite track on the CD.

"Desdemona" by John's Children.

John's Children were one of the many moddy, poppy, druggy bands you could have seen for a quid at the Marquee at the tail end of 1966. I imagine that they would have been completely forgotten by pop historians by now if it wasn't for the fact that for a short period Marc Bolan, prior to his enduring fame with T-Rex, was part of the group. He wrote this song and it is clearly his distinctive warble on backing vocals.

I think this is a great track. I love it.

"My CD" by Jackie Chan.

The first bit of movie dialogue. Jackie Chan from... I think... "Rush Hour". (Now, that was a shit movie.)

"The Harder They Come" by Jimmy Cliff.

This is a classic. If you do not know this song, shame on you. Very evocative of being a kid in Birmingham in the late seventies. Radios in every classroom blaring out reggae or punk rock. Nothing else. Weirdly enough, only last weekend I was watching a clip of Jimmy Cliff on the Jools Holland's Later show performing "Many Rivers To Cross". Jimmy Cliff is an old man now, but he was still electrifying.

"I'm Sorry To Interrupt" by Joan Cusack.

Another movie clip. Joan Cusack from... "School Of Rock"? I didn't much like that film either. This fact surprises almost everyone that I meet.

"I've Been Everywhere" by Johnny Cash.

I went to see "Walk The Line" and enjoyed it very much. Before that movie I knew very little about Johnny Cash and I said so. I also mentioned casually, on the blog, that I did not own any of Johnny Cash's music and that I really should get my ass in gear and go out to buy some. The fine gent Swiss Toni saved me the bother. He sent me a disc full of Johnny Cash tracks.

I like this song just fine, but to me Johnny Cash's music was so much better when he was being grave and serious. He was never supposed to be happy. At least not on record.

"Stupid Children" by James Coburn.

Another movie clip. No idea where this comes from. Maybe "The Magnificent Seven"?

"Fat Children" by Jarvis Cocker.

I saw first saw Pulp in 1994 supporting Blur and again in 1995 on their own tour. I think that they went a bit off the boil after that. I haven't taken a lot of notice of Jarvis Cocker's 'comeback', but these days I think I enjoy him more as a personality rather than as a musician.

This is OK. Peculiarly dated when you consider that it would have been released this year/last year. A semi punk/new wave thrash. It starts. It ends. It's OK. I didn't turn it off.

"None Shall Escape The Judgement" by Johnny Clarke.

A reggae groove. Very nice. Faintly religious lyrics. I liked it a great deal.

"Day My Pad Went Mad" by John Cooper Clarke.

Until I heard this track I had no idea that John Cooper Clarke had recorded anything with a backing track. Then again, I know very little about John Cooper Clarke, full stop. I think I last heard him on the radio on John Peel's show, circa 1979.

I think that this is OK. Not really my cup of tea.

"All My Friends" by John Cale.

I think that this is an outstanding. A great old school new wave track. Relentless, churning guitar riff, clever lyrics. It builds and grows and accelerates over 7 minutes. Really very, very good. I really should investigate John Cale a little bit more. I don't think I know any of his work other than as the bass player in the Velvet Underground and producer of Squeeze's first album.

"Cut Class" by John Candy.

Movie clip. Absolutely no idea where this comes from. "The Great Outdoors"?

"Pirate Jenny" by Judy Collins.

I think this is from "The Threepenny Opera". If I am right that makes it a massive two songs I know from that musical (the other being "Mack The Knife").

Extremely peculiar song about pirates, black freighters, murder and revenge. Beautifully sung. Every single word is clearly enunciated. I like that in a song. Excellent track.

"These Ain't Raindrops" by James Carr.

I am assuming that this is the same James Carr who recorded the classic soul track "The Dark End Of The Street". This song is not a patch on that one, but it is good track, and the guy sings it with such passion. When the mood strikes me, I really like soul music.

"There's A Tiny Door" by John Cusack.

Clip from "Being John Malkovich". Good film. I wonder, if Spike Jonze had not been able to get John Malkovich's co-operation in that movie, and he still made the movie, who would he have gone with? Jack Nicholson? Clint Eastwood? Woody Allen? I don't think it would have mattered a jot who he chose. It still would have worked.

"Drag" by Justin Clayton.

This did not make any impression on me whatsoever. I listened to it a couple of times to make sure. Sorry. Sounds like a song Radiohead gave away because it sounded too much like "Freak".

"Magnolia" by J. J. Cale.

Quiet, gentle, laid back, undemanding... country music? I am terrible at putting labels on music. Not awe inspiring, but a nice song and performance.

"Safe Surfer" by Julian Cope.

I have seen Julian Cope live a couple of times. I do not think he ever performed this song any time I saw him. This song is not one of my favourites, but Cope is a great talent. What is he doing these days? I don't know. Last I heard he had just completed a lecture tour about standing stones. Nice one. He walks his own path, that man.

"What are you gonna do?" by James Caan.

What's this from? Maybe "The Godfather"? No. "Mickey Blue Eyes"? I don't know.

"People Who Died" by Jim Carroll Band.

I remember watching The Jim Carroll Band perform this song on "The Old Grey Whistle Test" years ago. These days I think that it skirts perilously close to punk parody, but it it still a great slice of New York, New Wave. Leonardo Di Caprio played Jim Carroll in the movie "The Basketball Diaries". I still think it is the best performance that Di Caprio has ever given, bar none.

"Call It Off" by Jim Carrey.

From "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind", methinks. If I am wrong, I am suitably ashamed. I really like Jim Carrey, even when he chooses to appear in terrible films, which "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" certainly is not.

"Part 1 - Acknowledgement" by John Coltrane.

I am afraid that this track is wasted on me. I try very hard not to close my ears to anything, but I have never listened seriously to Jazz, nor ever purchased any Jazz. I cannot claim to understand it. Great drumming, though.

"Falling" by Julee Cruise.

The theme tune to "Twin Peaks", which was a TV series I adored, even when it became apparent that David Lynch was making the whole thing up as he went along.

I love this song. Shimmering and atmospheric. When I heard it I could just picture the waterfall during the opening credits of "Twin Peaks". Marvellous stuff. Once I nearly saw Julee Cruise live when she was touring as Cindy Wilson's replacement in The B52's. I didn't see her, because I didn't go. Shame.

"Thank You" by James Cagney.

Last movie clip. "Yankee Doodle Dandy"?

Phew! Done.

3 comments:

swisslet said...

that's a really great idea for a CD, and well executed by the sound of it too...... Well played everyone

(and I sent you a Johnny Cash CD? Really? I rock!)

Compliments of the season to you all.

ST

Jerry said...

Re. Johhny Cash CD? You sure did send me some music. The standard best of, containg things like "Ring Of Fire" and "Jackson", and four of the "American Recordings" albums. One of the kindest and generous things anybody has ever done for me, and I have never paid you back accordingly. I will one day. Just give me the nod.

Re. "The J Album". I really like nine, maybe ten, tracks and I think that is pretty good for any album that I would choose to buy these days.

Anonymous said...

The name of every single artist on the CD begins with the letter 'J'.

in fact, and even more impressively, the compiler seems to have found an album full of JCs.

red