Friday, October 24, 2008

Two desktops that I have failed to mention.

Anna Faris.



A week or so ago I left the house intending to see "The House Bunny". The bus did not turn up, so I saw the first film about to start when I arrived at the cinema. "Gommora". Not exactly a fluffy comedy. Far from it.

I will probably not now see "The House Bunny" until it turns up on my television set. In light of this tragedy I decided to immortalise Anna Faris as my desktop for the week.

My next desktop was Amy Adams.



I love Amy Adams. One day she will be mine.

My next desktop will not be a pretty girl.

**

At work, as expected since the asset strippers took control, there have been redundancies. Jennifer and I are OK, but we know at least 9 people who are on notice. One of those guys is a programmer who has been with The Company since Margaret Thatcher came to power. When he came out of his meeting he looked shell shocked. Jennifer was told to let him go home and to ask him to come back next week.

During the afternoon an email arrived from the CEO expressing sadness and regret, blah, blah, blah, and inviting applications for voluntary redundancy, pointing out that 'not all requests for voluntary redundancy will be accepted'. So, more redundancies are on the way?

It is all very sad, but that is the way of the world.

I am off to see the Stranglers tomorrow night, so the next post will probably not be here until Sunday. I last saw the Stranglers at the Birmingham Odeon in 1988. Time passes.

I am conscious of all the things I have not written about. I will try to do better in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am redundant. And if someone asked me to volunteer that information, I think I would as long as it came with a healthy severance.

However, I've not been at a company for years and years. Seems like it should be the company, not the employee, who should pay the price of redundancy in those situations.