Sunday, October 05, 2008

Van Morrison at the Symphony Hall in Birmingham.



I thought that Van Morrison was shit.

Where do I start?

There was no support act. Van was onstage at 7:55. This was 5 minutes before the start time on the ticket.

Van played for 90 minutes to the second. (I couldn't believe it. I checked my watch.) There was no encore. You might be interested to read that we paid 45 quid each for tickets to this gig. That works out at 50p for every minute that he played.

Van's performance was indifferent. Oh, man... He gave nothing to the audience. There was no interaction. There was nothing. It might as well have been a private rehearsal. OK, he may have grunted 'Thanks' once or twice, but there was no energy and no sense that he wanted to be there. Just a feeling of overwhelming boredom.

On the four songs that I definitely knew ("Moondance", "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?", "Brown Eyed Girl" and "Gloria" - great songs), Van didn't so much as sing the words, as slur them. Just like he couldn't be bothered.

Van was a real bastard to the gopher at the side of the stage who kept running on to replenish his drinks. The guy just couldn't seem to do anything right. Van also seemed really unhappy with the way that the band were playing. There were a few very sharp hand gestures and barked comments. I thought that the band were great and all of them were really good musicians.

His suit was too tight! Fat bastard! (OK, Jerry. Stop being silly. All of your suits are also too tight.)

The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. What a fucking waste of an evening! I could have been at home watching "Run, Fatboy, Run". I wouldn't like to repeat what Jennifer said.

After the gig, there were several people handing out leaflets advertising the upcoming "Astral Weeks" gigs at the Hollywood Bowl. My comment, to the very nice looking Chinese girl who tried to give me a leaflet, was, 'You've gotta be kidding me?'

She shrugged.

Never again. Very disappointing.

1 comment:

beth said...

That's just plain rude isn't it? I can't stand the man myself, so I'm quite pleased to read even more evidence of his gityness, but really, that's disrespect in the extreme.

Thinking about it, perhaps the reason they weren't selling alcohol was becasue they knew how pissed off people were going to be....