Thursday, April 03, 2008

I have a prediction.

I predict that within 10 years I will be able to go to see a gig at the NEC called, something like, "Here and Now: The 90's - The Best Of Britpop", which will feature bands like Ocean Colour Scene, Shed Seven, Catatonia, Inspiral Carpets, Sleeper and Echobelly, all on the same bill, playing their greatest hits. I predict that the gig will be standing room only, filled mostly with guys in their mid to late thirties (I will be in my fifties by then, but I will live with it) and I will have a thoroughly good time.

I made this prediction to a guy at work called Steve Broad, who is in his mid twenties. (A good guy. He sometimes gives me and Jennifer a lift.) He thought this prediction was one of the most uncool and saddest things he had ever heard, because Britpop should have been way too cool to allow that to happen.

I have seen Sixties compilation shows (The Tremeloes, The Marmalade, The Troggs, Dave Berry, etc.), Seventies compilation shows (The Osmonds, David Cassidy, David Essex, The Rubettes, Mungo Jerry, etc.) and Eighties compilation shows (The Human League, ABC, Nik Kershaw, Nick Heyward, Paul Young, etc.) and have, more or less, enjoyed all of them.

What's wrong with reliving your youth and singing along to the songs that you love, as long as old music is not the only thing you are listening to?

Nothing wrong with that.

It might be uncool but "Here and Now: The 90's - The Best Of Britpop" is going to happen. I would put money on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with reliving your youth through music. In fact, I'd wager it's one of the "cooler" ways of reliving your youth.