Sunday, April 13, 2008

John Barrowman at the Symphony Hall, Birmingham.



At one point during the concert, John Barrowman told a story about a meeting he had had recently with two BBC executives. John Barrowman said that he had suggested, with a straight face, that they change the meaning of the acroynm BBC from "British Broadcasting Corporation" to "Barrowman Broadcasting Corporation", due to the fact that he seemed to be on that channel constantly. The suggestion was met with stony silence.

Funny story, and it does illustrate how ubiquitous John Barrowman has become on British TV over the past three years.

Actor in "Doctor Who" and "Torchwood", reality show contestant on "Dancing On Ice", judge on "Any Dream Will Do", "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?" and "I'd Do Anything", musical performer on all sorts of things from "Magic Of The Musicals" (I think it was called that, but I might be wrong), "Children In Need", "Sports Relief" and "Strictly Come Dancing".

It's not the only work he does. Jennifer and I have seen him onstage a couple of times: A 3 song slot supporting Elaine Paige at one of her concerts, co-starring with Rob Lowe in "A Few Good Men" in the West End and panto last Christmas as Buttons in "Cinderella". We have just booked to see him in panto again this Christmas as "Robin Hood". It was announced at the start of the week and the tickets were practically gone.

John Barrowman is everywhere, does everything and never seems to turn an offer of a gig down. Jennifer reckons that John Barrowman is making the most of the fame he now has and the chance to work it has given him, before the fame slips away. She is probably right. I don't mind. I love John Barrowman. (In a non gay way, of course.)

So, Tuesday night. The second night of the tour.

As these kind of Michael Ball/Russell Watson, MOR, middle aged housewife things go, I thought it was pretty good, very entertaining, but probably not for everybody. Show tunes, standards and pop songs, sung impeccably and with the great enunciation of a seasoned West End musical performer. Pretty bad dancing, but pretty good arse wiggling. Good chat, good stories and good audience repartee. Not ground breaking stuff, frankly, but we had a good time.

There was also a short support slot by Niki Evans, who came 4th on "The X-Factor" last year. She was great and sang "Hot Stuff", "Fields Of Gold" and "My Heart Will Go On". I have written this before, and I know that LB disagrees, but I think with the exception of Rhydian, she was the best singer on "The X-Factor" last year, and it was disgrace that she did not get into the final. And she comes from Brum. I love you Niki!

Interesting audience. What you might call a mixed crowd. Butch looking, tattooed girls. Very clean looking young male couples (the two sitting next to me held hands throughout the concert) who smelt beautifully. Girls in pearls, wearing long dresses with plunging necklines. Bored looking middle aged men. Excited looking middle aged ladies. Old people, young people and one sad looking young boy who was wearing a "Doctor Who" T-shirt. (Not me, but if I had had a "Doctor Who" T-shirt, I certainly would have joined him in wearing it.)

It was a good night. A real lift of a concert. I would certainly see him again.

5 comments:

Mark said...

I think I'm getting a bit fed up with Doctor Who.

And also, I'm fed up of people singing the "Traditional Standards"... why can't they write their own songs, choose different song, pick songs that arent just blandly chosen, obvious songs that have been sung far better by thousands of other people.

Jerry said...

The new series of "Doctor Who" is OK. I tend to think that it always starts slowly and gets better, especially when the overall arc story becomes apparent.

Re. "Traditional Standard", I do see your point, but I am not of the school of thought that a single version of any song can be the definitive version, just an alternative version. For instance, I thought that Paul Anka's "Rock Swings", a couple of years back, was a very interesting album, and his version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was kind of brilliant. I also think that Manfred Mann's and the Byrds versions of Bob Dylan songs are better recorded versions.

I have no problems with people recording songs they have not written themselves. Not everybody is a writer. Without the help of outside writers neither Sinatra, Elvis or the mighty Cliff would have made it.

Daisy Martin said...

Holy mother of God, John Barrowman is incredibly HOT! Whew! It's getting a little warm in here.

Jerry said...

daisy: Sadly, he is taken. A guy called Scott, I believe.

Daisy Martin said...

Well that does it, I just lost ALL faith in humanity. What a waste.