Saturday, June 07, 2008

"Euro 2008" is in full swing, so let's talk football.

This might be a despicable admission, because a true football fan is supposed to care more about the class, skill and talent of the players who are there than those who are not there, but without the participation of any team from the British Isles, I really couldn't care less who wins "Euro 2008". Is that a bad admission? Is that really too much like being a 'Little Englander'?

OK, I will admit it. I do slightly care who wins "Euro 2008". At work the usual Bi-yearly Football sweep stake has been organised and I drew France, who are not a bad team. Jennifer drew Switzerland, who are shite, and, by the way, lost their opening game a couple of hours ago. The winner of the sweep stake gets 80 quid.

So, should I support France? No. It sticks in my craw. My Grandmother was Italian. I know! I will support Italy with my head and France with my wallet!

The BBC have been trying to raise some enthusiasm for their TV coverage around the phrase "Who Will You Support?", inviting their viewers to pick a foreign team to follow. ITV's adverts, involving a man who loses his girlfriend football in a terrible road accident, and then is saved by "Euro 2008", are also quite funny. I wonder if both channels will regret being contractually obliged to broadcast wall to wall coverage? Surely the ratings will not be that great? Do that many people in the UK, except the foreign nationals residing here with teams in the competition, really care who wins "Euro 2008".

I would have supported any team from the British Isles in "Euro 2008", in this order and for these reasons.
  1. England - because I was born in England and my Mom is English.
  2. Republic Of Ireland - because my Dad came from the Republic. A place called Galway.
  3. Scotland - because the guy who married my Grandmother was Scottish, had red hair, smoked like a chimney, had yellow fingers, drank like a fish, had a red face and was a great step Granddad.
  4. Wales - because I once went on a school trip to Wales and ate lamb.
  5. Northern Ireland - because... Er... It's across the sea from England!

Ho, hum. Roll on the World Cup 2010 qualifiers.

No comments: