Thursday, June 12, 2008

I was going to be very naughty. I was going to wait for Mr. Planet to post his review of the Sex Pistols show at the Carling Academy in Birmingham, advise you all to link to that for a taste of what the gig was like (because he is a much better music writer than me) and then add a few observations of my own.

All scuppered. Mr. Planet has not posted yet. I am sure that he will, in due course.

Just me then. I will be brief, because I am incredibly tired. I had about 5 hours sleep last night, if that.

This is what the Sex Pistols looked like in 2002.



Add 6 years. Glen Matlock and Paul Cook haven't aged a day, but dye Lydon's hair red, get Steve Jones to eat a few more pies and you would get a pretty good idea of what they look like now.

They started with "Pretty Vacant" and finished with "Anarchy In The UK". In between they played everything from the "Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols" album, plus "(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone", "Did You No Wrong", "No Fun" and "Belsen Was A Gas" (which, for the night, was renamed "Baghdad Was A Blast").

John Lydon, a particularly prickly individual at the best of times, was in a great mood, really enjoying the audience reaction. Urging the crowd on, encouraging singalongs, slagging off the Rolling Stones.

Moaning about his age. "I'm 52 years old and it is too hot up here!"

Explaining his dislike of certain people. "I only moan about people who deserve it, and there is nobody in this room tonight like that!"

Expressing his concern about wasting alcohol. Upon spying a full glass of beer flying over the heads of the audience, "Beer is for drinking, not throwing, you moron!"

Explaining the need to keep fully hydrated. "It's too fucking hot and two bottles of mineral water just don't cut it!"

He was truly great. People forget what a brilliant front man John Lydon is. Great band, as well. Very tight and just as good as at Finsbury Park. Muddy sound mix to start off with, but that was fixed after the first couple of songs. (My Brother and I were in a prime position to note this. We were just to the left of the mixing desk.)

I loved it. Great gig. Bags of energy. The best reaction from a crowd I have seen since the Flaming Lips at the Carling Academy, back in 2003. It didn't matter that we didn't go down the front. The pogoing extended right back to where my Brother and I were standing. We linked shoulders with a couple of other guys and jumped up and down like everybody else. Every stitch of my clothes had to be thrown into the wash when I got home. I was literally dripping with sweat.

Gig of the year. No question.

You lucky people going to the Isle Of Wight festival. I think you are in for a treat. I really do.

1 comment:

Katyola said...

Glad you had such a fun time -- I wish the Sex Pistols were doing a real tour of the US -- they only came to Las Vegas!