Friday, June 27, 2008

Short reviews, I am afraid. I am really tired. Anyway, I am really rubbish at writing about music.

Neil Diamond at the O2 Arena in London.



The only Neil Diamond album I own is a Best Of compilation. Others will need to tell me if I am missing out, and I may even take note, but suffice to say that it was the only music I needed to be familiar with to be able to enjoy the gig.

Last Saturday, at the O2 Arena, Neil Diamond was truly fantastic. Absolutely brilliant. You might say predictably brilliant. Total class. I have seen a video of him live. I have seen the way that he can hold an audience and the way that deep mature voice can crack with emotion. At 67 he can still do it.

Jennifer thought that he sounded a little hoarse on some songs, but we will differ on that point. I thought that he was in great voice and the band were red hot. The new songs from the recent Rick Rubin produced albums sounded good ("Pretty Amazing Grace" and "Home Before Dark" are really nice songs), but everybody came for the old songs. Lots of songs like "Song Song Blue", "Love On The Rocks", "You Don't Bring Me Flowers", "September Morn", "Cracklin' Rosie" and, of course, the communal singalong that was "Sweet Caroline".

But for me the true highlights were the performances of the two early singles "Solitary Man" (probably my favourite Neil Diamond song of all time) and "Cherry Cherry", and his taking back of two songs that he churned out as a jobbing songwriter in the mid 60's, during his time toiling at the Brill Building. "I'm A Believer" and "Red Red Wine". Short, sweet, memorable tunes, lyrics you can remember. What else does a pop song need?

Class in a glass from start to end. Made up totally for the shit journey to the O2.

**

Goldfrapp at the Symphony Hall in Birmingham.



Can you sum up Goldfrapp? I don't think that you can. The first album was very Portishead like. Soundscapes and ambient trip hop. The second and third albums were big dance orientated glam rock albums. The new album is acoustic, pyschedic pop. Imagine, if you will, an electronic Fairport Convention.

So, which Goldfrapp played the Symphony Hall last Sunday? Er... That would kind of be all of them, and they were all very good.

They started off with the acoustic stuff, gradually getting faster and faster, and louder and louder, as the evening progressed, with Alison spinning like a dervish by the end and the light machine out of control. It was a very schizophrenic gig. I think they are playing Glastonbury this weekend. They will go down a storm.

The highlights? Oh, for me that would have to be "Oooh La La", "Train", "Number 1" and the mighty "Strict Machine".

Jennifer, who knows nothing about Goldfrapp, dance music or any modern music come to that, pronounced them 'brilliant'. She's not wrong either.

**

Shit writing, eh? But I haven't the energy. I am tired.

Enjoy the weekend folks. After tomorrow's morning at work, I intend to recharge my batteries. Back on Sunday.

1 comment:

DragonZAR said...

One of my favourite live concert albums is Neil's 'Hot August Night' (the original, not H.A.N. 2). Stirring stuff. 'Beautiful Noise' is also a pleasant album.