Monday, September 15, 2008

It's Monday. Time for the desktop to change.

This picture.



The lovely Daniel Craig and the even lovelier Gemma Arterton. A still from the forthcoming James Bond movie "Quantum Of Solace".

**

I have seen a lot of movies at the cinema, recently. I have not written a word about them. About time I changed that.

First film, "Eden Lake".



"Eden Lake" is the second film I have seen at the cinema in as many weeks, about an attractive young couple, in a remote location, tormented and pursued by malevolent forces. The first film was "The Strangers".

"The Strangers" and "Eden Lake" are movies that follow a formula. Nothing wrong with that. The success of "Eden Lake" or "The Strangers", or any other generic couple-in-peril movie you might care to mention, stands or falls on the execution of it's central idea. I do admit that I liked "The Strangers" a great deal, but I think that I preferred "Eden Lake".

"Eden Lake" is a brilliant horror movie. Really horrible, extremely nasty, gory and violent, with a memorable ending that will play itself over and over in your head long after you have left the cinema. More than just a straight horror movie, "Eden Lake" touches on themes ripped straight out of nice, right wing, tabloid headlines: Urban collapse. Youth, ignored, damaged by the indifference of parents, teachers and society. How will they can threaten the middle classes? How will they threaten YOU!

"Eden Lake" boasts quality naturalistic performances. As the 'Scream Queen', Kelly Reilly is fantastic, throwing herself into the role and into all kinds of filth. But, for the most memorable villain in recent years, watch Jack O'Connell as a character called Brett. Brett is a cold eyed, arrogant, borderline psychopath. Brett is one of the scariest people I have seen in a cinema in a very long time.

My Brother lives in inner city Birmingham. He normally laughs long and loud when he watches horror movies. He did not laugh once during "Eden Lake". In fact, he was particularly thoughtful when we were leaving the cinema. Later, with regard to "Eden Lake", my Brother said to me, 'That film wasn't funny. I know assholes like that. I live in a place like that'.

When all is said and done, "Eden Lake" is only a horror film, but it is a great horror film. I cannot recommend "Eden Lake" enough.

**

That took a long time to write. Too long. Probably time for bed. Another review tomorrow.

2 comments:

Katyola said...

That's not Molly Ringwald?

Jerry said...

Noooo... It's foxy Kelly Reilly.

She scrubs up quite nicely.