Monday, September 22, 2008

Jennifer has passed the first set of her ITIL exams. She got an 82% grade. It is one of the highest grades achieved by anybody who has taken the ITIL exams at The Company.

Good. I am proud of her. Jennifer has worked hard to achieve that result. I just hope that before she rushes headlong into the next set of ITIL studying, she can obtain something of what life coaches would call a better "Life/Work" balance, because she is dismally failing at achieving that.

The Company are pushing to get all staff to take ITIL exams. I have told them to get stuffed, unless the studying and the exams can be done in work time or as paid overtime. I have said that I do not intend to utilise a single second of my unpaid own time on something that I believe will bring no benefit to myself or to The Company. The Company are unhappy at my attitude and I am not the only one.

I spoke to a guy today who discovered that the studying of ITIL and the taking of the exams had been put as task to achieve on his annual appraisal form. He refused to sign it, giving reasons for declining very similar to those I detailed above. The Company were expecting him to do a lot of work in his own time and The Company had no right to tell him what to do outside of work.

A few people have taken the exams. Quite a lot have not.

Career? What career?

3 comments:

beth said...

That all sounds so familiar.

I took some work-related exams a few years back, then last year the whole exam structure was changed and those of us who have the 'old' qualification are being very firmly 'persuaded' to go through the 'conversion' process. There is absolutely no need for it - it's the same as if those of us old enough to have o'levels were to be sent back to school to do GCSE's...but if I don't do it (and I'm not going to) I can't progress any further.

career? what career??

DragonZAR said...

We were ITIL-ised a few years ago. I also refused to write any exams. I understand more about ITIL than any of the wankers who DID get "certification". If you understand the principles (and they aren't rocket science), then it's just another piece of paper to clutter up the desktop. And, like everything else in IT, nothing more than a passing craze. Good on you for resisting.

Jerry said...

The same stories the whole world over. Why am I not suprised?