Friday, August 01, 2008

I changed my mind about posting today. If there is something to write, and there is time (only just - I have to get dressed for work in 7 minutes), why not just write it?

A while ago I booked tickets to see the production of "Cabaret" at the Birmingham Rep on 30th August. It is a show that I have always wanted to see live, as I have loved the movie with a passion. At the time of booking there were no cast details, especially the crucial role of Sally Bowles, so it was all going to be a shot in the dark.

They announced that Wayne Sleep would be playing the Emcee, months ago. I actually think that is really good casting. I find Wayne Sleep kind of creepy anyway and that will fit in exactly with how the Emcee is supposed to be. This week they announced their Sally Bowles. It is this lady.



She is Samantha Barks who came third in the BBC's "I'd Do Anything" reality show.

First reaction? Killer singer. (She can sing anything.) Killer looker. (I mean, look at her.) Moves really well. (Look up a clip on You Tube, if you want.) But... Way, way too young. She is 17 years old. Sally Bowles is a woman in her mid 20's who has been around the block a few times. I am not at all sure that Sam will put that across. I don't know. Maybe she will turn out to be a brilliant actress as well as a singer. I hope so.

That was Friday's post. Over and out.

No comments: