Thursday, August 07, 2008

It's Thursday! Time for a change of desktop.

The Fabs, I think. This picture.



This is one of my favourite photos of the Beatles. It was taken during the preparations for the "Our World" broadcast of 25th June 1967, that was the first, live, television show to be transmitted around the world by satellite. The Beatles contributed a new song that John Lennon sang live to a pre-recorded backing track. There has been some disagreement as to whether the song was specifically written for the broadcast. Ringo and George Martin said that it was, but George Harrison and Macca were unsure. I seem to remember that in the "Anthology" documentary, Macca said that it was an unfinished song that John had 'knocking around during that period' and that it was just 'tweaked for the occasion'.

Whatever. Doesn't matter. It is still a great song. Simple and direct. A real, evocative classic. Elvis Costello certainly thought so. He sang it at "Live Aid".



**

The pay reviews have finally come through. I got 4.4%, Jennifer got 3.2%. Add those to the 1.5% we both got in January, as the initial increase pending synchronisation of the merged company pay reviews in July/August, and there is really very little for me to complain about. Jennifer tells me that I got the highest percentage increase out of everybody in the team.

I'm great I am!

No comments: