Monday, May 26, 2008

I am buzzing with writing ideas (blog entries and a couple of alternate histories that I am going to write as blogs), so today I am going to give the cinema a miss so as to knuckle down and give the writing a fair crack of the whip. There are a shitload of films I have not seen, and Jennifer says that later I will get depressed and annoyed at not seeing them in a cinema, but so be it. I did see a film yesterday ( "Timber Falls"), which I will get to writing about later in the week.

Before I disappear, some brief thoughts on the Eurovision Song Contest.

The UK came joint last. I expected nothing more. Or should that be nothing less? Not that it was a bad song. It wasn't. I thought that on Saturday night Andy Abraham was pretty good.

Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, Political voting is now rife. Baltic states vote for Baltic states, Nordic states vote for Nordic states and Balkan states vote for Balkan sites. Somewhere in the middle the Western European countries get a couple of votes.

Terry Wogan, erstwhile host of the British end, has been very vocal in recent days about his disappointment with Eurovision and the UK's recent run of failure. He has gone as far as suggesting that 2008 may well be his last Eurovision as he no longer wished to oversee the annual debacle.

See ya Terry! Miss ya Terry!

Bring on Russell Brand and cronies! Or how about Jonathan Ross and his crew? Or maybe Graham Norton? I think that any and all of them could give the British end of the coverage some ooomph.

You see, to me, Wogan's comments smack very much of 'If you don't let us win, we're taking our ball home'. The world has changed. Europe has changed. The European public can vote for who the fuck they want. It is called democracy. You could stop the countries who failed to qualify for the final from voting, but the same block voting would still be used from the countries who did qualify. You could stop the European public from voting full stop and go back to the old committee from each country only voting, but you would have the same problem with those committees voting en-masse.

I know, how about having a Western Eurovision song contest and an Eastern Eurovision song contest? No, I didn't think so. Kind of defeats the point, doesn't it?

There is no solution. I'm afraid we will have to live with it. Maybe the UK will pull out of being one of the main financiers, so losing our buy-in to the final? Would the UK even make the final? Probably not. The BBC would probably be forced to stick Eurovision on the minority channel BBC3 as the contest would lose droves of viewers without a UK song in the final.

Not that it matters, but I thought the Ukraine should have won. Here it is.



But if Jennifer had let me vote, I would have gone for one of these 3 classics clunkers.

Latvia.



Spain.



Bosnia and Herzegovina.

2 comments:

Katyola said...

U.S. media is just now catching on to the wonder that is Eurovision (I just wish I could watch it here on TV!) — you might find this story interesting.

Jerry said...

You can find lots of clips on You Tube. Enjoy.

Yes, very interesting article.