Friday, July 04, 2008

I am thinking that when "Heroes" returns for a third season, I may not bother to watch it. I know that season two was severely curtailed by the U.S. writers strike, but that was no reason for the finished product to be so dull, smug, humourless, over complicated and, frankly, as boring as shit.

Yes, I think that that has decided it. Do I want to watch a show that is dull, smug, humourless, over complicated and as boring as shit? No, I don't think that I do. I had read the negative reviews coming out of the states and I ignored them. (Then again, season three of "Lost" was also getting pretty negative reviews and, after a slow start, I thoroughly enjoyed that season when I watched it recently.) I regretted staying with "The X-Files" once it became obvious that David Duchovny had lost even a pretence of interest in the show and I don't want to be stuck in front of the TV again watching something that I am not really interested in.

Life is too short, isn't it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like Heroes. And I don't think the writers' strike is a good excuse for any show's writing to tank. Quite frankly, with all that time off, they should have come back refreshed and ready to go!

medusa said...

Well, actually, the shortened season of "Heroes" came before the strike - so their coming back refreshed and ready to go won't be a factor until the upcoming fall season (quick previews of which are starting to pop up already.)

"Lost" is a great example of a show that came back with a vengeance after some slower moments. The third season ended on a high note, and the fourth, even though it was shortened by the strike, was spectacular (maybe because it was shortened by the strike, and more plot had to play out in fewer episodes, so there was no wasted moment.) Generally, though, "Lost" re-gained its strength when the producers negotiated the end date, and had something to write towards. I think that's why "Heroes" worked well the first season, since it was a self-contained, one season story arc.

There is so much trash on TV these days I'll probably give "Heroes" another shot - but will record it first so I can fast-forward at will.

Jerry said...

Frankly, I think that "Heroes" has lost me. I just thought that it has become incredibly boring.

Maybe I will regret it. I am sure that people will tell me.