Sunday, July 13, 2008

This afternoon Jennifer and I went to see "Mamma Mia!".



Here's the thing.

There are no vocalists in "Mamma Mia!" anywhere near as good as the ABBA girls, Anni-Frid Lyngstad and Agnetha Fältskog. The plot of "Mamma Mia!" is about as broad and complex as an "American Pie" sequel, with some of the plot contrivances being, frankly, jaw dropping, and most of the acting is at about the level of a decent panto.

However...

"Mamma Mia!" is brilliant. Really brilliant. Such a crowd pleaser. An exuberant, energetic, sparking musical, full of timeless songs and a cast (step forward Meryl Streep) who attack their roles with true gusto. Big, loud, silly and wonderful. As bright and camp as Graham Norton and Dale Winton on a night out. Look in any dictionary under the phrase 'Feelgood Movie' and you will see "Mamma Mia!" writ large. They should prescribe "Mamma Mia!" on the National Health. Fixes all known ills.

"Mamma Mia!" is a fantastic movie. I urge you most strongly to go and see it. Jennifer and I literally skipped out of the cinema. Let me tell you, we were not a pretty sight.

**

Last night the Villa got to the final of the Midlands Masters, where we were beaten by the Wolves 6-2. Just as well it's not real football, isn't it? Ha ha! (Anyway, Wolves cheated. Obviously.)

Still, it was a good evening out. Nice to hang out with my Brother.

Several drinks in the Malt House beforehand. My Nephew manic on diet coke. (I forget sometimes that he is only 12.) Into the NIA. Decent turnout. Better than last year. I got Ian Taylor's autograph and took a photo of my Brother with Dean Saunders. We talked to Dean Saunders for ages. He's a legend.

Hangover this morning. Thank God for cornflakes, bananas and water.

1 comment:

medusa said...

I am really looking forward to seeing Mamma Mia!