Thursday, July 24, 2008

Memory cheats, you know. Let me tell you a story.

Years and years ago, when I worked in the IT section of The Chemical Company, I had a Spanish student called Henis as part of my team. Henis was on some kind of work experience in the UK division for 6 months. Henis was a lovely guy. A very quiet, unassuming and gentle man. Very funny man. He had a vague command of the English language, but there are worse things in this life, and anyway, he worked very hard.

Some people disliked Henis. I could never understand why, as he was one of those rare people that it was impossible to dislike. There was one neanderthal shite who treated Henis very badly, eventually being cautioned by the boss. I think that that ass must have been a member of the National Front or British National Party. I remember one conversation when he sprouted on about "them people" taking British jobs. Maybe that was why he didn't like Henis. Definite sense of relief when that cunt finally left.

Henis was a big film fan. My kind of man.

One day Henis came into the office and he had a big smile on his face. He sought me out and the conversation went something like this.

Henis: "Jerry! I see film last night!"

Jerry: "Did you?"

Henis: "Yes. Great film. Great film. Best film I ever see!"

Jerry: "Oh, yeah? What was it called?"

And he told me the name of the film, what it was about and who was in it. Then he started to tell me some of the things that happened in the film.

Henis was so happy. Literally tears of laughter rolled down his cheeks. He acted out scenes from the film. He waved his arms a lot, trying to express the excitement, the brilliance, the sheer magnitude of the cinematic experience.

Henis: "You must see it, Jerry! Next weekend! Yes?"

Sure. Why not? How could I miss the greatest film of all time?

I knew of the film. It was not one I was bothered about seeing. I had heard that it was formulaic rubbish, but what did I know? I try not to criticize films I have never seen. I did go to see the film that weekend.

The film? "Blind Fury" starring Rutger Hauer.



I thought it was good fun. Formula, yes, predictable, yes, but not terrible. Really funny in some parts and Rutger Hauer still had a residual of cool from "Blade Runner". Terry O'Quinn (billed as Terrance O'Quinn), centuries away from playing Locke in "Lost", was also in "Blind Fury", and so was an actress called Lisa Blount, who at the time I thought was really kind of sexy. (She was Debra Winger's friend in "An Officer And A Gentleman" and also had an important part in a really underrated John Carpenter horror film called "Prince Of Darkness".)

So, not bad. Not a bad film at all. Cheers for the tip, Henis.

Jump forward 19 years. In fact, to a couple of hours ago. I had taped "Blind Fury" a couple of days ago and Jennifer and I watched it this evening. It was the first time I had seen it since 1989.

Er... "Blind Fury" is a true piece of shite. Hypnotically awful. Terrible. Cheap, badly acted, badly written, badly everything. Lethargic pace. Nasty, late 80's soundtrack. It features an annoying child who, personally, I would have handed over straight away to the bad guys who were so desperate to get their hands on him. It is a cack film, basically. Shudders. Two hours or so of my life I will never get back.

Jennifer said that she liked it. Vile woman. What does she know?

Memories. Never trust them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's one of those films that's only good the first time around, or when you are in the mood for something predictable? Sometimes I want something predictable, even though I generally detest that. When things in real life spin out of control, it's good to know you can rely on certain movie formulas that never let you down.

Jerry said...

Or maybe everything dates and becomes terrible in the end?