Wednesday, July 09, 2008

There was a moment on Saturday evening, after "Doctor Who" had finished (I know I promised not to mention "Doctor Who" again until Christmas, but it is only in passing), when I realised that every single TV series that I watch regularly had come to the end of it's run.

Nothing to watch! Eeek!

Then I realised that "Dexter" season two was going to start it's run on FX on Sunday evening.

Phew. Close call.

I love "Dexter". Sly, witty, amusing and kind of sexy. It is the best TV series about the trials and tribulations of a blank faced, moral, psychopathic serial killer that I have ever seen.

(Er... It is the only TV series about the trials and tribulations of a blank faced, moral, psychopathic serial killer you have ever seen.)

Oh, do shut up, Jerry.

When one series starts, another one is sure to follow straight behind.

Another TV series started on BBC1 last night. I think that I may well be watching it to the end of it's run. "Bonekickers"

Now, don't get me wrong. "Bonekickers" really is shit, but the thing that makes the difference is that "Bonekickers" is entertaining shit.

"Bonekickers" is an unholy mix of "The Da Vinci Code" and "Time Team", with a soupcon of "Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade" and "C.S.I. Crime Scene Investigation" thrown in for good measure. It features lots of familiar and good British TV faces (sexy Julie Graham, Adrian Lester, Michael Maloney) all acting very serious and intense, unless they are in the series as comic relief (Hugh Bonneville). Last night we also had ex-"Eastenders" actor Paul Nicholls guesting as a Christian right psycho with a big sword. (Yes, I do mean a sword. Nothing else. He may well have a big penis. I don't know. Good luck to him if he has.)

"Bonekickers" had a plot that started silly and got sillier, with hints of some underlying conspiracy waiting to be uncovered as the series goes on. Furrowed brow acting, dodgy special effects, but all done at a rollicking pace. Cracking stuff.

Of course it's crap, but crap that makes you happy is good crap. That's what I say.

No comments: